Here is a practical way to encourage your students, leaders, and friends
Have you ever received one of those text messages or maybe a phone call from a friend that just seemed like they were saying the exact right thing at the right time? The kind that pause you in your steps and make you re-read it again. I certainly have. Somethings they are a word of encouragement or even a funny meme that makes you laugh and brightens up your day. Sometimes these can be confirmations about something that you have been praying about, or an answer to a question you've been thinking about, or the can become turning points in our lives.
I can remember a time when my wife was secretly praying about something that would have a major impact on our lives. She hadn't told anyone about it (except me). She just prayed to the Lord, making her requests be made known to God (Phil 4:6), and waited for him to respond. After a few weeks of praying, a family member sent over a text letting her know that they had had a dream that they wanted to share with her. When my wife called, they told her about the dream, it was a very specific and vivid dream. This prayer was a direct answer to the prayers that she had been praying.
Now, not every time has a text or phone call been so pivotal, but we have had many over the years. Often they have been as simple, "I was praying for you today" or "here is a Bible verse that made me think of you." The bible calls these a “Due Season Word."
“𝐀 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐨𝐲 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐮𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧, 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬." Pro 15:23
"The right word at the right time—beautiful!" The Message
"Everyone enjoys giving great advice. But how delightful it is to say the right thing at the right time!" The Passion Translation
"The right word at the right time." Wow! What a powerful moment...opportunity...invitation.
What if you took time today to ask the Lord for a word for one of our students, leaders, or friends. The kind of word that brings joy to the one who receives because it is an answer to their questions, and their prayers. The kind of word that is "so timely." That is a due season word. The kind of encouragement that come in at just the right time. Rather it's a phone call, FaceTime, voice memo, or a meme, consider asking the Lord for a Due Season Word.
OK, so where do you start?
1) Scroll through SM or your contacts in your phone and ask the Lord to highlight someone to you. Don't underestimate that small connection that makes you think about that person.
2) Begin typing out a text while asking the Lord to give you a word for that person. This might be an encouraging word. Bill Johnson says, "No one has ever overdosed on encouragement." So feel free to start with a word of encouragement.
3) Read the Bible with that person (or other people) in mind and ask the Lord to highlight a passage for them. Another place to go is the concordance in the back of you Bible as look for a word that you feel like represents them. Look up the verses that are connected to that word. When you find one that connects with the person that you are talking with, copy their verse and send it. For a few extra points, add your own thoughts as to why you feel like that verse was so important.
4) Thank them for their friendship or influence in your life. Try to be as specific as possible.
5) If nothing else, simply let them know that you are thinking about them and ask "how can I pray for you today?"
Leave a comment:
Have you ever recieved a due season word?
Have you ever given a due season word?